Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years Resolutions


I'm generally pretty bad with resolutions, so a few years ago I stopped making them, but this year I've been thinking about it differently. A newsletter I subscribe to asked this question a few months ago : "what are you dedicated to? would someone know that you are dedicated to this thing by your actions?", and it's been on my mind ever since. I'm a firm believer that actions speak louder- or more clearly at least- than words, so maybe that's why I'm moved by this question. There are things that I am dedicated to that are crystal clear to anyone who spends time with me- but then there's making art- which is something I let pass to easily, I'm busy and so making art and working on my craft are among the first things I put off, I think it's clear that art is important to me- but it's the process of making art that I let slip.

So my new years resolution is going to be to make art daily, and to do as many things that support the making of art as possible- studio reorganization, becoming a member in some arts organizations, even applying for grants. I'm looking at it as a re dedication of sorts, a chance for me to focus, and build a working practice for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment