Tuesday, May 8, 2012

In the Studio


Hi Folks, I made a bunch of stuff this week- but I neglected to photograph it before I put it in the kiln today- it'll look the same when it comes out- no worries. I also meant to post yesterday- but got sidetracked with picking up some plants, and some more clay supplies. So fresh Clay this week- plus a whole lot of new stains, and some new glaze recipes to try- I'm excited by it- honestly- though the excitement is flagging with the coming of planting time.


There is something sort of special about this time of year I think- some primal draw to the outside world- to digging, and splitting, and propagating and planting, to searching for asparagus shoots (then watching in dismay as your two year old picks the one inch shoot and shoves it in her mouth, I guess I'll have to start eating my asparagus that way too, if I'm going to get any at all, it's the strawberries all over again- incidentally I bought 60 roots this year so hopefully that will be enough to ensure the adults get to eat some). So I'm sort of starting to wind down on studio time I think, I'll be spending more days outside- more days cooking, and more time with my hands in the dirt.


Summer is the season of food around here, and Spring is the season of anticipation. We wait for the Lilacs to bloom, and the seeds to sprout, and it all seems to be going to so slowly, and then suddenly there's this mad rush in June and everything is surprisingly too big, and you're picking ten zucchini a day and forgetting to eat the beans fresh. I want to enjoy the waiting, but patience is something I've taught myself- not something that comes naturally, though it is helpful to read quotes like this one:

 

"Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace. "

- Mary Sarton




No comments:

Post a Comment