Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday Inspiration: Doris McCarthy

Doris McCarthy, Hills at Dagmar, 1948, (source)

Doris McCarthy, Wave Movement #8, 1969, (source)
Doris McCarthy in Nunavut, 1976 (source)
Doris McCarthy, Iceberg with Moon, 2002, (source)
Another Kick-Ass Canadian woman artist. Doris McCarthy was born in 1910- and died in 2010, which means that she painted Iceberg with Moon when she was 92 years old! I love that- it makes me want to live up to that standard. The paintings themselves are somewhat 'traditional' Canadian Landscapes- though there is a big breadth to her work- you can see that she stretched in both directions as a painter- experimenting on either side of her comfort zone.

I love the colourful exuberance of the Hills at Dagmar, and the way that the landscape sort of twists in that image- reflecting the rolling quality of the hills. I love how the waves are distilled to their bare minimum in Wave Movement #8. In Iceberg with Moon, the Icebergs are so solid looking and yet slightly transparent, and also sliding slowly into the sea- it's a wonderful commentary on the solid impermanence of them.

Plus look at the image of her bundled up- painting icebergs in Nunavut, in the 70's- I mean really does it get more Iconically Canadian than that?


(for the most adorable elderly lady painter picture go here- awesome!)

5 comments:

  1. Love these paintings and the fact that this Canadian lady artist lived to 100 but painted one of these at age 92! Thanks for posting - this is so interesting and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of her making a painting when she's 92- or older- a new goal to reach for!

      Delete
  2. I love that first one, Hills at Dagmar. She was also a writer, and continued to write into her 90s. Her last book was Ninety Years Wise, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- I'll have to look up her books- the first one is my favorite too!

      Delete
  3. P.S. Aleta Karstad, who does small nature studies, studied under Doris McCarthy. I think you can see some influence. http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete